Mariel's Reviews > The Glass Menagerie

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams

Dec 23, 13

Recommended to Mariel by: I was a late bloomer I moved in flourishes
Recommended for: savage night at the movies

The Glass Menagerie is a weird one for me. There's a better word for it than weird. I'm a crap writer though. I'll leave it at that. There's no thesaurus/mindreader thing for what I'm feeling.
There are stories that we know every word of before we've ever read, seen or heard them. The Glass Menagerie is one of those for me. We'd act out scenes and make references like we actually knew what we were talking about. (My mom especially loved the "rise and shine" routine.) Remember that scene in Joe Versus the Volanoe when Tom Hanks didn't know it but he knew it that he couldn't possibly have a "brain cloud"? (He runs his hands back and forth over his head to gesticulate that he KNEW it.) [Once upon a time Tom Hanks was really cool. This was before anyone ever told him that he resembled Jimmy Stewart in bad lighting.] My mom bought us freaking glass figurines to encourage it. It was all part of her sick thing to encourage my social anxiety like how some moms encourage obesity by overfeeding and then afterwards picking on their fat kids. (The Brando Street Car was a frequent run in our house too. My brother was given ciggies and wife beater shirts. No lie!)
The times when I'd beg not to go to school 'cause I was being bullied during volleyball practice? A reference to Laura's embarrassment to arrive to school late and limp in front of everyone. I could go on and on. (My mom's sympathies were with the mom, Amanda.)
I felt like I already knew Laura's displacement.

If my twin were here right now I'd ask her if the Paul Newman directed version was one of those filmed from the stage John Malkovich movies like True West and The Death of a Salesman (both are superb if you've never seen 'em). I'm thinking it was filmed for tv. I'm probably wrong and Lauren will later tell me that I am soooo wrong. Anyway, I love this version.
Anyway, it was Tom who killed me when I watched the Newman version over and over again. It was his escape that I felt was being shown back to me. More than Laura's painstaking care of her self-built world I loved the one that Tom reached out to in outside sources like films. I love Killer Wingfield. Let's go to the movies, Shakespeare.
The weird thing is that I'm having difficulty coming up with a whole for this. I know how I feel about their day to day. How the hell did it end? I'm coming up with nothing. Should it feel like that? I KNEW it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Menagerie.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Milo (new) - added it

Milo Bikini thongs and rollerblades? Sounds like a good time to me.

message 2: by Velvetink (last edited May 21, 2011 08:34PM) (new)

Velvetink Death of a Salesman with Malkovich as Biff was awesome - made a huge impression on me - I saw it on tv but it was screened at the movies first. it's been forever since I read The Glass Menagerie - need to re-read it - I just have this stifling feeling remaining about it..

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Mariel Which one was that line from? I have a book of her complete works and still only read Good woman, wise blood and violent bear it away. Mar, "good woman". Duh.

I was really just thinking about the glass menagerie.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

A Good Man is Hard to Find.

Mariel Yes, my mind just flipped that title.

I haven't warmed to O'Connor as much as I feel I ought to. I LOVED Carson McCullers. Capote was my hero and Harper Lee. Maybe it was thd religion. I'm afraid of Graham Greene for that (to read more).

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

O'Connor is very prickly. I can see not warming to her. She was like an angry aunt in my house growing up though. The good kind.

Mariel I liked "good" mote than the other two. I'm going to try again. As a southern girl I consider it a failure to not "get" it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Eh, there's no test. Sometimes the local writers are too local, you know? Ask me about Robert Bly and you'll get a lot of incoherent screaming - not that Bly is in O'Connor's league by half.

Moira Russell Ceridwen wrote: "I knew a lot of O'Connor by heart before ever reading it. "She'd be a good woman if there were someone there to shoot her every minute of her life." Said the Misfit."

That is one of the best fucking stories ever. Ever.

Moira Russell Mariel wrote: "I haven't warmed to O'Connor as much as I feel I ought to. I LOVED Carson McCullers. Capote was my hero and Harper Lee."

Oh yeah, O'Connor is terribly hard to love. I am mainly in awe of her prose style. Her stories read like absolutely compressed novels.