Rane's Reviews > The Restorer

The Restorer by Amanda Stevens

1987431
Apr 04, 2011

bookshelves: first-reads-arcs-netgallery, cozies-mystery-suspense, keeper, urban-fantasy, true-gem-keepers
Read from March 30 to April 01, 2011

Like the sultry afternoon, the jasmine gently floating on the breeze, the cool sweat dripping from a glass. Just when sun bids farewell and the moon says hello, between day and night- twilight- a veil is lifted, the unrest sprits rise to roam the land of the living once more…

Amanda Stevens writes poetic and downright spooky novel in The Restorer, set in the old south city in Charleston. Amelia Gray is a cemetery restorer, and can see ghosts, but unlike the ghost whisperer, Amelia has been raised by her father to never acknowledge ghosts, whom attach themselves to the living they once knew or anyone who sees them, slowly draining the life and warmth of the living person. Amelia has lived by the rules her father set and lived a quiet by lonely life, until one night, she meets up with Det. John Devlin whose haunted by his own ghosts, one of the rule her father dilled into head, never get involved with someone who is haunted. Amelia has not real choice in the matter in the beginning when a body of a young woman is found at the cemetery Amelia is restoring. Amelia is drawn deeper in the case for the clues left by the killer that only she can interpret. This brings into her world a danger she’s tried to avoid all her life, a door she may not be able to close. With many behind her, helping her, to seeking justice. There’s also another danger closer to her, and that’s Devlin, that Amelia knows she can’t let into her life, but feels their lives are tightly drawn together.

Before I picked this up, I was very happy I read reviews that said this was not a romance. I think I would have been very disappointed. Beyond that, I loved this book, even if I had to sleep with two nightlights and make sure my cat or dog was close by. I’m not ashamed to say this book scared the crap out of me! It wasn’t in your face scary, but that cool breeze that tickle the back of your neck, the feeling of being watch or feeling that shadow in the hallway moved. The story left the reader in a state of suspense, with a few close calls that spooked the reader, at the same time, giving the reader clues to lead to the killer, their reasons behind why and how their trying to lure Amelia deeper in all set in the old southern city filled with lots of history and ghosts at ever turn...

I really liked Amelia, stuck between two worlds and heaps of rules about her second sight that are to keep her safe, but keeps a thick wall between her and others. She’s smart and caring and very lonely. The reader is given a deeper insight into Amelia with the book told in her POV. At a young age, you see how Amelia’s life has been shaped by her second sight, and the hidden secrets her parents hide from her. Much of her reactions are pretty on key to anyone whose may find themselves in a dire situation. She takes a lot of clues at times a little overreaction but she takes them with a pinch of salt and adds them up to lead her to another clue.

The interactions between Devlin and Amelia could be said to be tension filled, on one side- Amelia’s. You never know what’s going through Devlin’s mind, as at times he seems so indifferent toward her. AS loves to tease the readers, with a few maybe scenes that could hint a little more on Devlin’s side. Of course, being a total fangirl I love the dark, brooding type with a torture side and Devlin fits the bill. I can understand why Amelia is so drawn to him. He just drew me in with glimpses of sides he tries to hide.
While there isn’t any real romance, Amelia thoughts revolving around Devlin all the time got old and tedious. I can understand her lusting after him, and does she lust over him, even when signs point she needs to stay far away from him when he starts draining Amelia’s own energy. I can even understand as I have my own lusty thoughts over guys. *grins* I just wants to get back on track with the story, and gathering more clues.

AS is a master on twists, and turns and many times she threw me for a loop, from school cults to even the killer while didn’t surprise me too much, their reason behind it all did leave me with my jaw dropping.

I’m not a fan of the type of genre of book, but AS made a fan outta me, leaving me looking forward from more from this series and author!

50 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Restorer.

03/31 page 17
4.0% ""A winged effigy?" "a winged face sometimes a skull"
"England cemeteries where puritan stonecutters favored a more morbid and literal representation-skull and crossbones, bodies in coffins, skeletons.."
Cause everyone wants a badass headstone!
:P"
03/31 page 19
5.0% ""Devlin had somehow leeched my energy while he slept"....
I'm starting to hear Lady Gaga's Bad Romance playing in my head..."
03/31 page 31
8.0% ""The silhouette had been moving away from me, but the moment my gaze reached it, the shadowy head came up and slowly rotated in my direction" "like an animal sizing up it's prey. The weeds parted violently, as though an invisible scythe cut a path straight toward me"....RUN FOREST RUN!"
03/02 marked as: read

message 1: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne This one sounds good Rane. I might have to give this one a try. Charleston would be a perfect place for the setting of a ghost story. I love this city.

Rane KatLynne wrote: "This one sounds good Rane. I might have to give this one a try. Charleston would be a perfect place for the setting of a ghost story. I love this city."

I think the setting played a major role on it's own, with alot of history with a buried secrets. The story just had so many great points to it- loved every bit

Bark's Book Nonsense Lovely review, this sounds like a book I could really get into.

message 4: by Rane (last edited Apr 04, 2011 10:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane BarkLessWagMore wrote: "Lovely review, this sounds like a book I could really get into."

Thank you BLWM! It was deliciously creepy! Loved the twists AS threw at the reader

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead I'm glad you liked it. I'm always worried when someone reads a book because of one of my reviews or my crazy updates!

message 6: by willaful (new) - added it

willaful Michelle wrote: "I'm glad you liked it. I'm always worried when someone reads a book because of one of my reviews or my crazy updates!"

I try not to fret over it, it's their decision. I worry more when someone decides not to read something because of me. Too much power!

message 7: by Mrs. (new) - added it

Mrs. Badass I have this in my que to read soon. I'm a little scared though. Creepy books keep me up at night!

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead willaful wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I'm glad you liked it. I'm always worried when someone reads a book because of one of my reviews or my crazy updates!"

I try not to fret over it, it's their decision. I worry more..."

Oh I do too! In fact, I worry when they read it or don't read it. I, obviously, need to focus my worry energy elsewhere! LOL

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Erika wrote: "I have this in my que to read soon. I'm a little scared though. Creepy books keep me up at night!"

This one is definitely creepy. I have a high tolerance for creepy and can stand almost anything- gore, horror, creepiness, etc., but this book was very subtle in the creepy approach. If a random ghostly hand gently touching the back of your leg creeps you out, you might want to reconsider!

message 10: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Great review, Rane! Love the budding black rose pic! :)

message 11: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Michelle wrote: "I'm glad you liked it. I'm always worried when someone reads a book because of one of my reviews or my crazy updates!"

I loved it to bits Michelle and I'm not one for these types of books- I couldn't put it down for a second- plus AS was such a tease with Amelia and Devlin!

message 12: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Michelle wrote: "willaful wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I'm glad you liked it. I'm always worried when someone reads a book because of one of my reviews or my crazy updates!"

I try not to fret over it, it's their dec..."

I think it deals once again with the reader- it's up to them before they read a book. I'll be honset and say if I have doubts on a book beforehand and read a not so positive read about the book- I'll push it for a later time read

message 13: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Erika wrote: "I have this in my que to read soon. I'm a little scared though. Creepy books keep me up at night!"

It was creepy Erika, and deals with alot of ghosts, hand brushing through the hair *shivers* if you can handle those types of movies/books I think you can handle this book...also doesn't hurt to have a nightlight or someone to cuddle up to just in case ;D

message 14: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 15: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Shawna wrote: "Great review, Rane! Love the budding black rose pic! :)"

Thank you Shawna!
It's so pretty and fit the story- couldn't help but add it to the review ;D

message 16: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Great review, Rane. I'm usually okay with gore, horror and things that go bump in the night, but subtle creepy stories are the worst. I mean, the things I can't see are the ones that scare me the most. Does that make any sense?

message 17: by Rane (last edited Apr 04, 2011 08:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Great review, Rane. I'm usually okay with gore, horror and things that go bump in the night, but subtle creepy stories are the worst. I mean, the things I can't see are the ones that scare me the m..."

Thank you Dina, Definitely! you can pretty much see the creature, chainsaw carrying crazy dude 10 miles away and go to safer ground... what you can't see is the worse!

message 18: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani I loved your review Rane! I'm still thinking though whether I should give it a try or not, because I do get kind of scared with such stories. Just like Dina said, gore doesn't rattle me at all, but creepiness gives me the shivers.

message 19: by Rane (last edited Apr 05, 2011 09:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Fani wrote: "I loved your review Rane! I'm still thinking though whether I should give it a try or not, because I do get kind of scared with such stories. Just like Dina said, gore doesn't rattle me at all, but..."

Thank you Fani! *raises hand* Scary Cat Right here! My cat and dog wonder why I kept asking them to sleep in my room with so two nightlight, but I loved every bit of it..but to give you a hint of how creepy it is...
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Dina (last edited Apr 05, 2011 06:15PM) (new) - added it

Dina Keep running, Forrest!!! ;)

message 21: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Dina wrote: "Keep running, Forrest!!! ;)"

LOL! and no looking back! Thankfully she wasn't wearing high-heels ;P

message 22: by Fani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani Rane wrote: "Dina wrote: "Keep running, Forrest!!! ;)"

LOL! and no looking back! Thankfully she wasn't wearing high-heels ;P"

At last a heroine with more brains than fashion sense:) I did cave in and asked it from Netgalley eventually Rane, so your review did a good job of convincing me.

message 23: by Rane (last edited Apr 06, 2011 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Fani wrote: "Rane wrote: "Dina wrote: "Keep running, Forrest!!! ;)"

LOL! and no looking back! Thankfully she wasn't wearing high-heels ;P"

At last a heroine with more brains than fashion sense:) I did cave i..."

I'm here to support you if you get scared reading this *HUGS* *hands you her extra nightlight*

message 24: by Fani (last edited Apr 06, 2011 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fani lol! Thanks Rane. I hope I don't need it, but it's good to know someone's there:)

message 25: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn Great review, Rane. It's been a long time since I've read a creepy/scary book - this sounds like a good one.

message 26: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Quinn wrote: "Great review, Rane. It's been a long time since I've read a creepy/scary book - this sounds like a good one."

Thank you Quinn! It will send chills down your back ;D

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I keep running across books that are gory, not creepy. This one sounds great! I'll be checking this out!

Great review!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, Rane! Love the black roses. The Charleston setting and the spine-tingling factor have me quite intrigued.

message 29: by Rane (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rane Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Great review, Rane! Love the black roses. The Charleston setting and the spine-tingling factor have me quite intrigued."

Thank you Jayne, this had me real spooked, but I loved every second of it~! I can't wait for more of this series!