Marquetta (LoveToReadForFun)'s Reviews > Immortal Rider

Immortal Rider by Larissa Ione

Dec 04, 11

Read from November 06 to 09, 2011

I don't even know where to begin. I am a HUGE Larissa Ione fan and her Demonica series is one of my all time favorites. I enjoyed reading Eternal Rider, the first series of the Lords of Deliverance series, but I didn't connect with it as deeply as I did with the Demonica series. I understood that as the first book of the series, Eternal Rider had to set the stage for the series as a whole. I enjoyed reading the book but it didn't have that oomph! So when I started reading Immortal Rider, I did not know what to expect. Sometimes going in with no preconceived notions about a book is a great thing because Immortal Rider took me by surprise and totally blew me away.

Larissa Ione outdid herself with this one. Immortal Rider grabs you by the throat and does not let you go until the very end. I've never been so stressed out -in a good way- while reading a book. I couldn't stop reading even though I was afraid to turn the page to see what was going to happen next. Immortal Rider was much darker than Eternal Rider and definitely darker than the Demonica series. There are no rainbows and unicorns in this story. It is harsh. It is gritty. It didn't look like any of the characters were ever going to catch a break. Right when you felt there was a little reprieve, something would happen to change the entire game.

Limos was a character that I had a hard time warming up to. She has done some shady things in her past and when they all came to light, I did not feel sorry for her. I felt like her brothers and Arik were too easy on her. A lot of what Limos did was for her own selfish reasons so I felt that she deserved whatever backlash she got. But then Limos would do something completely unselfish and then I would find myself softening towards her. Limos is a very complex character. I have a love/hate relationship with her and in the end, I'm still on the fence about whether I like her or not. Limos reminded me of Sin, from Sin Undone. Sin was another character who went through life doing whatever suited her and damn the consequences. Limos does show a vulnerable side. She's been alive for thousands of years. She's powerful. She's strong. But the one thing that Limos wants and that seems to be out of reach for her is to be a regular girl. She mentions that several times throughout the book and I was surprised that such a powerful person just wants to be normal.

When you're reading an Ione book, you expect some smoking hot sex. We didn't get much of that in Immortal Rider and I was okay with that. The lack of sex totally worked in this book and I would have been worried if it was done differently. Arik and Limos relationship is not an easy one. There's a lot of distrust especially since Arik ends up in Sheoul because of Limos (albeit indirectly. No one told him to kiss her.) Arik has every right to want to see Limos dead, or seriously hurt. But Arik turns out to be very forgiving of Limos screw ups and comes to her defense against her brothers. I loved how even though Limos is a demon and can easily take care of herself, Arik would quickly come to her aid, to protect her, to defend her. Arik sees beyond the party girl facade that Limos puts out. Both of them harbor terrible secrets and in that, I think they find common ground.

Once you start reading Immortal Rider, you will not want to put it down. Not only do we get a great storyline with Arik and Limos but there are numerous side plots that keeps the action going. The best side plot of them all involves Thanatos and sets up his book, Lethal Rider. Normally with so much going on in one book, it can sometimes take away from the story but not this time. The side plots enriched the book as a whole. They added texture to an already good book.

Immortal Rider is beyond great. I don't know what else to say. It's darker and there isn't as much sex as we're used to but this book does not disappoint. Once you start reading, be prepared to not put the book down until you are completely done. Immortal Rider has steered this series into greatness. It is one heart-pounding, non-stop, thrill ride. It is easily one of my favorite books of the year.

Final words - BUY THIS BOOK! NOW!

A
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal Rider.

11/06/2011 page 1
0.0% "Boo-to the freaking-yah!!!!!"
11/06/2011 page 21
7.0% "Damn Limos doesn't play"
11/07/2011 page 99
33.0% "crikey! no rainbows and unicorns in this book!"
11/07/2011 page 122
40.0% "No! they cant be that stupid! this book is stressing me out."
11/07/2011 page 204
67.0% "Shit! I hate this! Its too much. Aargh!" 3 comments
11/09/2011 page 318
74.0% "She's just like Sin. Destroys everything for selfish reasons."
show 1 hidden update…