Andrew's Reviews > The Well-Tempered Critic

The Well-Tempered Critic by Northrop Frye

2057933
Mar 23, 11

Read in March, 2011

Fairly good Frye. He relates it to his earlier Anatomy of Critism.

Early gives an early shout-out to assonance, which is really what those Rapmetric guys deserve the applause for.

Discusses low- middle- high- for verse and prose. His ideal is comparable to the ideal in Educated Imagination. High-prose is virtuous, humane, egal, community-building idealism. He dialects art being as reflective of reality vs human, composed and prone to cultural artifact. He deals with it by being inclusive saying: right now the Marxists look the aspects of the author and there's a trend in the West to do the opposite, to focus the academy at bits of text, but that's neither of those is the way authors write literature. You read a book looking to read the sliz out of it, for the sake of the beauty of the work, but we come at each book in our time and imagine the reality of the author with our biases (if nothing else, painting the landscapes with our palette).

Dickens was the first write "associative" thought. Hyphenated reality-idea after idea-scatterbrained. Asshole.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well-Tempered Critic.