Lisa O.'s Reviews > Nevermore

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: ebook, fantasy, favorites, swoooooon, paranormal-ya, ya-lit
Read from January 18 to 20, 2012

They say not to judge a book by its cover. That appearances are deceitful.

I say this time you should not judge the book by how it starts off. At first, it very much looks like your garden-variety paranormal YA: jocks, cheerleaders, cliques, mean girls, emo-goths, star crossed lovers, you get the gist. There were a couple of scenes at the beginning where I thought I was probably going to ditch it if it went on like it was.
But it didn't.
First of all, you should be aware that underneath the shallow, clichéd appearance, this book is very dark and oneiric. I don't know if you're familiar with the work of Edgar Allan Poe, but the story is based and heavily influenced by several of his writings, such as The Raven, The Masque of Red Death and Ligeia, among others. Parts of his biography, especially concerning the mysterious circumstances of his death, are also a fundamental part of the plot.

The story starts, quite predictably, with Isobel - blonde, cheerleader, girlfriend of THE football player of the school - getting paired up for an English project with Varen - goth guy, aloof, antisocial, with a mean girlfriend but magnetically irresistible. Despite a rocky start, as Isobel's feelings for Varen change and grow into something even she is reluctant to accept, strange things start to happen. Isobel gets chased by voices, she starts hallucinating, supposedly.
Who is causing all this? The key seems to be a book of the works of Edgar Allan Poe that Varen has given to her her for the project and that appears to have a life of its own.

Nevermore came as a surprise to me, really.
Despite glowing reviews (and some non-glowing), I wasn't expecting much from it. This seemed to be confirmed in the first few chapters, when all the clichés made their entrance, and the mean girls theme put me in eye-rolling mode.
BUT. As the Raven theme crept more and more into the story and the clichés were left behind, the plot turned into something truly and incredibly original. I am sorry for those readers who dropped the book before getting to that part because, really, they missed out on something good.
The second part, which takes place in a sort of dreamland, a story inside the stories, was truly engaging and fascinating for me. The star-crossed lovers got separated, grotesque figures started appearing, Isobel became a dark Alice in Wonderland, right after she fell into the hole.
I'll admit: not everybody will like it. It can be confusing at times and many people won't like the romance being set aside to see other characters steal the scene with their bloody razor teeth. Me, I loved it. I love when a book manages to surprise and frankly, this did it successfully.

As far as I am concerned, a success. I can't wait to read Enshadowed when it comes out in August, 2012.

I'm taking away one star for the name Varen.
First of all, WHY the lame anagram?
Second, unfortunately everytime I read the name, this was the image I had in my mind. Ops.

For this review and more, go to The Nocturnal Library

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

01/18/2012 "this is my Second TBR intervention of the month. And I'm done for January." 1 comment
01/18/2012
10.0% "His fingernails were long too, almost crystalline, tapered to points. Gack. -10 points for Varen." 8 comments
01/19/2012
65.0% "This book is so unpredictable and dark I think I like it very much so far." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura I am very curious about this one. It has been in my pile forever! Can’t wait to hear what you think. :)

Lisa O. I decided to finally tackle it for my TBR Intervention challenge. I've read just a few pages so far and the two MCs get paired up for a Lit project in school so... O_O

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Haha….I’ll be on the lookout for updates! TBR Intervention challenge?

Lisa O. Yes, to get rid of the books that are molding on my shelves :D

message 5: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Brilliant! :D

♥Rachel♥ Yay Lisa! I loved this one. :)

message 7: by Kay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kay I read this one; it was very fun, and the plot was very unique. Hope you end up liking it!

message 8: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Yay, Lisa! I'm glad you liked it! This was a surprisingly good read for me, too. I keep meaning to write a proper review for it but I never get round to it. :P

♥Rachel♥ Lisa O. wrote: "Yes, to get rid of the books that are molding on my shelves :D

This is a great idea, if I were a blogger, I'd enter (I guess it's only open to bloggers). I have so many sitting on my bookshelf that have been there forever. Although, I have to say in the case of Nevermore, you did well to wait because the sequel doesn't come out 'til August & the cliffhanger was bad! We've all had to wait 2 years!! :(

Aly (Fantasy4eva) looking out for your review. I have this but never got around to picking it up. Might just reconsider. :)

message 11: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Yay! I happen to love this book.

message 12: by Alecia (new) - added it

Alecia After this review, I think I'll have to give it a try :)

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Great review. Sounds intriguing! I may have to give it a shot. :)

Jessica B Yikes I wouldn't want to see that every time I read the name Varen either! Great review!

message 15: by Reynje (new)

Reynje Love this review, Lisa! You've piqued my interest.. :)

message 16: by Jasprit (new) - added it

Jasprit I've had this book in my pile gathering dust for a while now too! But I will try and pick it up soon! Great review Lisa :)

♥Rachel♥ So glad you liked it Lisa. Excellent review. :)

Jasprit, you have to read this!

Aly (Fantasy4eva) definitely got me re-thinking. I stared reading this but saw all the clichés and put it back down. Plus, it's a chunky book so I thought I'd rather not bother since it was going to 'one of those paranormals' routes. BUT when I get back I might just give this another chance. Thanks!

message 19: by Dominika (new) - added it

Dominika I'm definitely trying this one♥ great review!

Yaseena absolutely loved this book when I read it last year. I want a re read soon before Enshadowed comes out. Glad you liked it :)

message 21: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora LMAO @ the horse photo!

Glad you enjoyed this and awesome review. Now if the author will just stop delaying the release of book two . . .

message 22: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Great review, Lisa! I'm looking forward to it now! "bloody razor teeth"--NICE! Just what I need right now. :)

message 23: by Dija (new)

Dija Oh, how I love your reviews, Lisa. <3

message 24: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Thanks Lisa, that is exactly what I did. Love Poe, thought I'd give this a go but I ended up putting it back down after just a few pages, thoroughly disgusted.
I will definitely give this a second chance at some stage. :)

message 25: by Nalnac (new)

Nalnac Bella review tata!
Ho questo libro da una parte da un po e non sapevo se leggerlo.. Il fatto che tu l'abbia sistemato su una shelf chiamata "swooooon" è promettente..hehe ;)

Lisa O. To all who are reluctant to read this: You should really give it a try, if only for its passage from utter cliché to utter original.

Also Varen should have looked more like this ,
than the image in my review.

Arion I liked your review. About Varen's name, I don't know if it means anything, but in slavic languages vrana means raven, so I didn't mind anagram, reminded me of my language.

Lisa O. Arion wrote: "I liked your review. About Varen's name, I don't know if it means anything, but in slavic languages vrana means raven, so I didn't mind anagram, reminded me of my language."

Arion, theoretically it shouldn't have bothered me either - Ворон in Russian too...
It's just there's this famous horse.... LOL, I kept on thinking about that animal, instead of the winged one :D

Arion Lisa O. wrote: "Arion wrote: "I liked your review. About Varen's name, I don't know if it means anything, but in slavic languages vrana means raven, so I didn't mind anagram, reminded me of my language."

Arion, t..."

LOL, I understand. I'm just wondering, how on Earth did you find that horse? :)

Lisa O. Arion wrote: "Lisa O. wrote: "Arion wrote: "I liked your review. About Varen's name, I don't know if it means anything, but in slavic languages vrana means raven, so I didn't mind anagram, reminded me of my lang..."

....I guess it's famous here in Italy... :D

Amber Simpson Why did you clump emo with goth?

Lisa O. Amber wrote: "Why did you clump emo with goth?"

Cause I'm 36 and old :D
You're right though, I should have put a comma there, not a dash.