Lily's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Nov 13, 12

Read in December, 1964

Glad I read this in my twenties. Became totally disaffected with the philosophies of Ms. Rand when read her book on Selfishness and of the details of her affair with Nathaniel Brandon.

Abandoned a re-read (11/2012). This thing is just too much for my stomach and interest at this point in my reading journey. Rand served me well in my twenties; but her view of the world is much too naive for me today.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen I have not read any of her books, but I was briefly acquainted with a guy who worked for the Ayn Rand Institute. After the things he told me about her philosophy, and how the Institute propagates it, and what their long term goals are, I've been averse to reading any of her work.

message 2: by Lily (last edited Oct 03, 2012 05:07AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lily Kristen wrote: "I have not read any of her books, but I was briefly acquainted with a guy who worked for the Ayn Rand Institute. After the things he told me about her philosophy, and how the Institute propagates i..."

Can't say that I blame you. I am in the process right now of re-visiting Atlas Shrugged for a conversation with friends interested in its apparent influence on current politics. Not certain I can tolerate a true re-read. It is tough slogging to remember what appealed back in the days when, at twenty-one, a boyfriend gave me the copy of Fountainhead that sits on my shelves yet these many years later. (AS has disappeared, and I refuse to support Objectivism by buying another copy, so a library system copy awaits pick-up. I watched the movie this week, fell asleep though.) I view it a bit like being aware of the political or religious views with which one does not agree. I did read through some of the reviews here on Goodreads and there was a balanced one in particular that helped me remember what is enticing about the elements of self-reliance and self-determination that are part of attraction of the story. Have you read Greenspan's biography? I have said a copy of Jim Kaufman's little The Collectibles ought to be packaged with every copy of Ayn Rand's books. In a simple parable of a story, Jim espouses a balance of economic win-win self-care and concern for others in our communities.