Aban (Aby) 's Reviews > The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer

The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp

Mar 23, 2011

Read in March, 2011

This book saved my daughter and myself from going insane! My granddaughter was born in February and within days proved to be the most challenging of infants: she screamed for what felt like hours and hardly slept. We rarely ever saw the baby contented. Then a friend loaned my daughter this book (I swear there are angels on high looking after us!) and, thanks to what we learned from the book, the situation improved dramatically.

We learned from Harvey Karp, a doctor, that some babies are unable to calm themselves and, because their nervous and digestive systems are immature in the first three months of life, they scream for much of the time. These babies need to have the conditions of the womb replicated for them in order to stimulate the calming reflex. In fact they need a "fourth trimester"!

The book explains in detail and with clarity just how to calm these screaming babies, and the approach works! It helped me both to better understand my screaming granddaughter, and enabled me to calm her. In fact, the book helped me move from a feeling of helplessness to one of being empowered and in control.

I would highly recommend this book for any caregiver of a newborn, challenging baby!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Baby on the Block.