kari's Reviews > Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: 2011, 5-star, ya
Read in March, 2011

Wow. *stands to applaud*
If I could give this more than five stars, I'd do it.
First, I love the title. You had me at that. It's a perfect fit for the book which is a little funny and a lot scary.
I'm going to say something that I never say and, in fact, usually complain about the opposite. This book could definitely be developed into a series and one that I'd be eager to read. Normally I am complaining that an author has so little plot that it should have been contained into a single book, but the world here is shown in glimpses so that I'm intrigued to know more about it.
But be warned, Lish McBride, I will not tolerate a love triangle just for the sake of unneccessary drama. You've created a great cast of characters and developed enough story that a triangle would make it too much of a romance instead of an adventure which this story is, whether Sam wanted an adventure or not.
And if you're into paranormal creatures there are necromancers, of course, but also werewolves, hybrid feyhound/werewolves, vampires, witches, zombies, a satyr, a fury and others.
The books is told through first person past tense for Sam and third person past for all the other characters. And in some books this can be confusing, but McBride handles it so well that you won't even pause to think about who's talking. The focus jumps from one character to another, but the plot isn't jumpy. The changes are so clear and yet seamless that they don't slow the flow of the story in any way.
The song lyric chapter titles were perfectly integrated into the story. Each one fit with the action of the chapter.
The ending here is perfect while at the same time leaving enough open that I'm hoping there will be more to the story. I rarely, if ever, say that.
There's nothing here I'd change. Loved it. Highly recommend it. I'm going to stop there so as to not leave spoilers. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
Great book. Give it a try.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.