Caroline's Reviews > The Kennedys at War: 1937-1945

The Kennedys at War by Edward J. Renehan Jr.

Too many books on the Kennedys tend to skip over the war years, or just focus on Kennedy Senior's time as Ambassador, so this book is refreshing in that its sole focus on what the Kennedy family, and that means all the Kennedys, were doing during those years. My only criticism is that it's very heavily skewed towards Kennedy Senior, and Joe, Kick and Jack, with only cursory mentions of Rose, Teddy, Bobby, Eunice, Pat, Jean and Rosemary. I understand that none of them were actually actively involved in the war, but some more information of what they were doing and how the war affected them would have been nice. But that's a small criticism. This is very well-written, without being hyper-criticial or hagiographic, as so many biographies of the Kennedys tend to fall between. It's particularly strong when highlighting the rivalry between Joe and Jack, and it's one of the rare books I've read that doesn't try and gloss over Rosemary's very existence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kennedys at War.