Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > One Thousand Kisses

One Thousand Kisses by Jody Wallace

Mar 23, 11

Read in March, 2011

This is Jody Wallace’s second book in the Fey Realm. I do love the world Ms. Wallace has built for this series, the Realm filled with magic and the fey, and humanspace, where nothing works quite right for those with magic in them. The characters, even the villains, have many dimensions to them, and I like that even the heroes have some flaws.

Embor Fiertag has a lot on his mind. As Primary of the Court, he is running for re-election, against a very unscrupulous opponent. He is also trying to uncover the location of the assassins who tried to murder him, and he can’t share his concerns with anyone. He has kept to himself that the seers foretold his one true mate, and that mate is Anisette ‘Ani’ Serendipity. This could prove a bit sensitive, since Embor’s chief political rival, Warren Torval, is currently courting Ani.

When Torval tries to force a mating with Ani, Embor rescues her and they escape to humanspace, where magic is much weaker. As they try to track the assassins, with the aid of a magical cat, Ani and Embor slowly become closer, though Ember confuses Ani by not acting on their, she thinks, mutual attraction. Can Embor find the assassins, stop the Torvals from ruining the Realm, and convince Ani they are destined to be together? And what is Master Fey, the cat, really after?

The first part of this book, in the Realm, slowly unfolds, and there is political intrigue and mystery surrounding Ani and Embor at every turn. It is only when the Torvals try to force a mating on Ani, and then remove her memories of the attempt, that the action picks up. The second part of the story, in humanspace, is faster paced, and there are several really hilarious episodes with Embor as he plays the hero.

Anisette ‘Ani’ Serendipity is a very appealing character. She begins as someone who doesn’t want to cause trouble. She has gone along with Warren Torval’s attentions to her, because she wasn’t sure how to just get out of it. When she finally takes action, however, she discovers just how strong she really is. When she and Embor escape to humanspace, she proves that she has much more to offer than just genteel manners, and becomes more sure of her own strength and worth.

Embor Fiertag is a strong and sexy character. He is determined not to rush his suit for Ani, but slowly realizes he has to act when she becomes endangered. I liked that he may be the Primary, and very strong, but he has flaws and weaknesses, especially where Ani is concerned. His addiction to fey drugs and substances shows a side of him that he isn’t proud of.

There are lots of twists and turns in this, and one very big surprise that I won’t reveal here, but that brought tears to my eyes. There is one scene that I really loved, when Embor meets with his allies in humanspace and experiences whiskey and being drunk, human style, for the first time. The secondary characters are well drawn, and many are back from the first book. This is a terrific romance, and one I think everyone will love.

Originally posted at http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Thousand Kisses.