Suzanne's Reviews > The New York Trilogy

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

Feb 27, 08

bookshelves: 1001-books-before-you-die, post-modern, fiction
Read in February, 2008

This is my first experience with Paul Auster and I have to say that I am impressed. The three novellas included in this book are not difficult reads, but they have so much meat to them they aren't easy reads either. I found them to be very thought provoking. Is this kind of obsession or sense of duty really possible in the non-fiction world?

I started this book right after my English class discussed Samuel Beckett's Endgame which really got me prepared for this style of writing. I had never read any absurdism or extistentialism but this work seemed go with this train of thought, at least according to my understanding from my professor.

I was really impressed with how the author was able to keep the plot going forward when the characters seemed to move backward. I was also impressed with the way that each of these novellas had similarities in their plots and repeated elements, such as the red notebook or the names, but they still remained separate stories. The stories actually seem to all be part of a whole but I have not gone to enough effort to completely figure that out. I will leave that for another day.

I look forward to reading more of his work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New York Trilogy.