Jeffrey Williams's Reviews > Dereliction of Duty

2096885
Mar 23, 11

bookshelves: history
Read in July, 2000

While we heard a lot of the "stories" of what went on in the White House, this is the confirmation coming from one of the closest people to work in the presigious historical building.
Even though he was a career military officer who swore and oath to "protect and defend the constitution of the United States of America," the fact that he did not write the book as an active military member shows a lot of tact on behalf of the author.

I give Lt. Col. Patterson a lot of credit for his professionalism in keeping his mouth shut while working for the President, and for not quitting. If I were in the same situation, I'm not sure if I could have stuck it out like he did with all that went wrong. At the same time, I also give him a lot of credit for providing a somewhat "unbiased" look at the years he worked in the White House.

Patterson writes with a lot of conviction. He doesn't write like he has a vandetta against his former employer, but comes across like an objective historian. The truth is "the story has to be told."

My interpretation is that the Lt. Col. had a burden on his shoulders because he writes with a heavy heart. He's definitely not a firebrand of an author, and that lends credibility to the book. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable read from a literary standpoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dereliction of Duty.