Stacey's Reviews > Last Night at the Lobster

F 50x66
Mar 22, 2011

bookshelves: crossroads-book-club, ones-i-really-loved
Read in December, 2009

This is one that has really grown on me. I read it for book club probably almost two years ago, and I thought it was ok at the time. Now, I still find myself remembering it when I'm thinking back to books I've read. There was something about the characters being both people that I see every day, but yet people that I know nothing about that really just stuck.

The basic story is about the night shift crew at a Red Lobster in the northeast. The restaurant is closing down - this is the last night, and a huge snowstorm is raging outside. There's no big drama, crisis, or huge plot that creates the story - rather it's a character study of the people who work there.

And that's why it works for me. Rather than my usual read to find out what happens, I was really reading to get to know the characters. They weren't people that I have anything in common with, or would be friends with if I met, but they also weren't really unlikable or bad, or living in horrible poverty or situations of abuse. They're just not part of my social circle - but part of my day to day world. Every once in a while now, when I'm in a chain restaurant, or even a random chain store, I'll look at the Assistant managers and wonder about their stories.

Overall, I'm recommending this to my friends who like to read lots. And if you're reading this - you're one of them!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Night at the Lobster.