The_Mad_Swede's Reviews > Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil

Shazam! by Jeff Smith

Feb 17, 08

bookshelves: comics, dc-comics, 2007, superheroes
Read in November, 2007

I absolutely adored Jeff Smith's Bone, when I finally got around to reading it, so when I heard that Smith was doing a prestige format miniseries for DC with their Captain Marvel, I was definitely interested. Not that I knew that much about the character from before (just the odd appearances in crossovers or miniseries involving mutliple heroes), but Smith at the helm definitely appealed to me. Add to that that people who's judgement I trust was raving about this comic while it was still being publsihed in separate issues, so it was not a hard decision to pick up this wonderful hard cover edition.

So... did it live up to the hype and expectation, you wonder? It truly does. It is quite possibly the best (and most certainly among the very best of) ALL AGES superhero comic books written and published in recent years. In a time when both Marvel and DC (especially the former) seem to have forgotten that they need to renew their fan base with fresh young blood continuously if their market is not to dwindle and finally die out completely, here comes a comicbook that parents could easily read for their children and enjoy together with them (or on their own as I did, after all, all ages just means that it is kid friendly, not kid exclusive). Jeff Smith offers us a remake of both Captain Marvel's origin story and the lengthier story arc "The Monster Society of Evil" (which from what I have understood was the first serialised comicbook story way back when), and though I am not familiar with the original material, Smith's remake is a lovely read. It is fun and moving, and Smith's specific sense of storytelling comes through in a way that is clearly recognisable from Bone. True, with its four chapters (originally four prestige format issues), Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil does not have the time or space to become quite as epic as Bone did, but then again... it does not have to. Ever so warmly recommended, and please feel free to bring a kid or two along for the journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shazam!.