Laura's Reviews > Red Flags or Red Herrings?: Predicting Who Your Child Will Become

Red Flags or Red Herrings? by Susan Engel

F 50x66
Mar 22, 11

Read in March, 2011, read count: 1

In the interest of full disclosure, you should know that Susan Engel was one of my favorite college professors, so part of my pleasure from this book was because I could "see" her facilitating discussions about these topics. Besides my enjoyable trip down memory lane, I found this book both comforting and practical. It's very readable as she summarizes famous psychology studies (there are almost 20 pages of references in the back if you want to read the original papers!) and offers some hands-on ideas in response to them. I'd say it's a little more academic than the average parenting book, so depending on what you're looking for that could be a plus or a minus. I appreciated her discussion of nuances, but if you're looking for simple checklists or a 3 point plan you'll probably be disappointed. My "take aways" were: to let your kids spend their time doing what they love and are good at, friendship making skills can be taught, and it's a good idea to commend effort rather than victory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Flags or Red Herrings?.