Dreamergirl's Reviews > Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem

Stick Up for Yourself! by Gershen Kaufman

U 50x66
Oct 10, 2011

bookshelves: nonfiction

This is my favorite non-fiction, self-help book. Even though I've never been through very, very tough bullying, this book will help you to stand up for yourself, whether it's with a friend who's suddenly turned against you or with teachers and parents constantly trying to put you down for no reason, this book will help you do exactly what the title says, "Stick Up For Yourself!". Many people don't really get what the phrase means and this guide made a close up view. I liked the approach that Kaufman did in this book. It didn't show, "fighting back" as a bad thing, but as a good thing that will help you get through everything and stand up for yourself. This is a great read for grades 5th and up. I loved this book from the very beginning at the first chapter, "What it means to stick up for yourself", it deals with tough essues as self-esteem problems (it even has a quizz on it) and it deals with many feelings like distress, fear, anger, shame, loneliness, and down-moods. It also tells you a lot about power in relationships and how to achive your future dreams, being responsible for your feelings and behavier, and overcoming shyness. It also helps with that feeling of powerlessness and frustration in daily life. I'd recommend to every middle/high schooler in need of a book that will help her/him find his true self and know how to deal with people treating him unfairly. :)

Interest level: Medium-high
Grade level: 5th-10th

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stick Up for Yourself!.