Kellee's Reviews > Ashfall

Ashfall by Mike Mullin

1919931
Jul 03, 11

bookshelves: dystopian-apocalyptic-or-post, ya-teen, netgalley, amazon-review-done, teach-mentor-texts, sci-fi, website-review-done
Recommended to Kellee by: Provided by NetGalley for review
Read in July, 2011

Reviewed at:

In my review for Susan Beth Pfeffer's apocalyptic novel, I said, "This is the first book I've ever read that made me be scared for an apocalypse... his book terrified me; however, this made me not want to put the novel down." Ashfall does what Pfeffer's book did, but Ashfall also intrigued me in a different way because of my fascination with volcanoes- I was filled with a mix of terror and fascination all through the novel. Mike Mullin took a possible future disaster that in all speculations could happen and threw us as readers into the middle of it.

When you start the book, you know that a horrible event is going to happen. Alex, our narrator, tells us how different everything is now, but this slight preface cannot prepare you for all of the destruction, criminal activity, devastation and loss that happens throughout this novel.

Some favorite parts:
*Loved that Alex described history books and si-fi books as past & future history.
*The analogies throughout the novel to help readers understand what Alex is going through are superb. My favorite was describing explosions as Zeus machine-gunning thunder.
*Liked that Mike never felt he needed to explain about the gay couple who lived across the street from Alex, it was just normal.

Now I just have to wait for the sequel :)

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ashfall.

Quotes Kellee Liked

Mike Mullin
“For the first time ever, I felt ashamed of my species. The volcano had taken our homes, our food, our automobiles, and our airplanes, but it hadn't taken our humanity. No, we'd given that up on our own.”
Mike Mullin, Ashfall

Mike Mullin
“But unlike thunder, this didn’t stop. It went on and on, machine-gun style, as if Zeus had loaded his bolts into an M60 with an inexhaustible ammo crate.”
Mike Mullin, Ashfall

07/02/2011 page 191
41.0% "Everything you want in an apocalyptic novel: terrifyingly true situations that make you have nightmares. So, brilliant so far :)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elise (new) - added it

Elise Looking forward to being able to read this one!