Dreamergirl's Reviews > Immersed in Verse: An Informative, Slightly Irreverent & Totally Tremendous Guide to Living the Poet's Life

Immersed in Verse by Allan Wolf

U 50x66
Oct 01, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction, favorites

This book impressed me a lot! :) Finally a book that has the same points of view as I do on writing and some of the exercises were presented as fun, rather than a chore which is how many people view writing... A great read for any young writer (mostly for poetry-junkies but could also do wonders for young adult story or novel writers). How it shows poetry is simply iresistable and I think could make even poetry-haters start writing long, deep poems, hanging on to every word. It introduces people who'd never even written poetry or have done it their whole lives, to look at it again from a different view + it contains great tips on 1)getting insparation, 2) avoiding writer's block, 3)finding your inner poet, 4)inroducing you to different types of poems: love poems, hate poems, poems with no punctuation, long poems, short poems, sad poems,... It gives you the same habit tips that I've learned such as, Write Every Day (pg.25, habit #8) and realize that poetry ain't always pretty (pg. 34, habit #6). Plus it also has many poems by proffesionals as examples throughout the book. This great, and very fun book takes you on a trip not only deep into poetry, but deep into your hopes, goels and dreams for the future :) I would recommend this beautifuly illustrated, "Immersed In Verse".

Interest level: Medium-high
Grade level: 5th-10th

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immersed in Verse.