Lindsey's Reviews > Sometimes a Great Notion

Sometimes a Great Notion by Ken Kesey

Mar 22, 11

Read in March, 2011

It took a bit for me to get into the book at first, as the storytelling style of the book is complex. It was quite difficult, at the start, to distinguish between narrators, but once you can tell, the book really becomes rewarding. I disliked Leland, not because the characterization was incomplete, but because he seemed to be a jerk. Maybe it's that I share many qualities with him, but have no desire to be anything like him. I admired Hank much more, as much for his work ethic as for things you learn about him at the end of the book. The conflict between Lee and Hank is almost painful at times in its one-sided-ness. The lack of understanding between the brothers is tragic and normal at the same time. Their disconnect is so typical of many families, yet absurd in its extension. I found Hank so sympathetic because of his ability to see and acknowledge the disconnect, trying to fix it and not being able to because so much of the problem lay outside of his own self.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sometimes a Great Notion.