Mary Catherine's Reviews > Wish List

Wish List by John  Locke

Mar 27, 11

Read from March 22 to 26, 2011

We hear it all the time.

“Make a wish,” is something that’s said on a birthday, immediately before the candles are blown out.

Shooting stars are said to grant wishes.

“If you had three wishes, what would you wish for (and no wishing for more wishes!)?” is a question that tends to get asked as a game.

WISH LIST is a mix of thrilling terror and dark humor that speaks to all readers in a single question – What would you do for four wishes, any four wishes?

It seems like such a simple concept but author John Locke twists it into such a way that readers will sit up and take notice. Buddy Pancake hears of a website where he can enter any four wishes of his choosing. Brushing it off as a hoax, he’s more than just a little surprised when they come true – including being given the chance to sleep with a well-known movie star.

What happens next is a whirlwind of events that will make readers question the very purpose of humanity. No longer is this a story about simple wishes from a simple man. It is, instead, a phenomenal chase that challenges every thought and emotion a person can have. The plot is original, both in idea and execution, and the narration is spot on in keeping readers interested.

The only problems I really had with WISH LIST were its length (a mere 226 pages) and its lack of character development. Many of the characters – Buddy, Jinny, Lissie, Donovan, the lesser characters even – really begged for more background stories. Had the book been longer, I think it would have opened up more explanations and delved deeper into the relationships between the characters. The quick jumps from one scene to the next were great for the pacing of a thriller but detrimental to a connection between reader and character.

For its novella-length and its low price for Amazon’s Kindle, I would tell people to read WISH LIST. It’s a very interesting read and really makes a reader think, “What would I do for my wishes to be granted?”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wish List.

03/22/2011