Heidi-Marie's Reviews > The Diamond Secret: A Retelling of Anastasia

Mar 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, series, ya-12-19, historical
Read from March 25 to 29, 2011

It wasn't a fabulous book, but as I've always had a thing for the Anastasia myth, I was still intrigued and entertainied. Very much like the 1956 movie (which the '97 cartoon was based on). The only thing that was original to this telling was the diamond part, which I pretty much had guessed early on. A couple of convenient things throughout the plot. And I'm starting to really get annoyed with the development of the love stories in these fractured fairy tales. My editing self noticed a few mistakes, and not just grammatical. Some themes or arguments seemed re-hashed way too often throughout the story.

But, I still enjoyed it. I really liked Sergei and loved his happily ever after. The scarred man's ending was pretty anti-climactic, considering, but still preferable. The ending was rushed, but I'm getting used to that with these books.

Two stars initially, but three stars for being an Anastasia telling and being respectful of the Romanovs (for I always had a bit of a soft spot). And one ? as this is not quite a fairy tale--more of a wishful fairy tale based on rumors and myths that circulated for many years in our history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond Secret.