jv poore's Reviews > Stalling for Time: My Life as an FBI Hostage Negotiator

Stalling for Time by Gary Noesner

Mar 22, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read on August 17, 2011

Stalling for Time: My Life as an FBI Hostage Negotiator is an extraordinary book. Mr. Noesner was involved in some very high-profile incidents, such as Ruby Ridge, Waco, as well as the Washington DC sniper crisis that those of us on the East Coast remember well. In addition, he was instrumental in the creation of the negotiation team in the FBI, training, drafting and revising policies and procedures, as well as acting in the capaciy of a negotiator whenever and wherever needed.

This is a man that, in my opinion, has a right to be arrogant; however, it is crystal clear that he is indeed humble. After all of his accomplishments, I should not be surprised that he is such a magnificent writer, but I was. This book presents facts, time-lines and explanations. For those of us that watched any of these horrors unfold, and wondered what went so wrong, how and why; here are our answers.

When Mr. Noesner provides his opinions, they are clearly noted as his opinions, and while he may articulate mistakes that were made, there is no finger-pointing, name-calling or anything remotely along those lines. I believe that this is a very fair book, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

The tone of this book is very similar to that of Dave Cullen's Columbine---another outstanding non-fiction book with many answers, more questions and a fair view.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalling for Time.