Marla's Reviews > The Summoning

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Mar 22, 2011

bookshelves: books-read-in-2011, supernatural, ya, paranormal
Read from April 11 to 12, 2011

From the very first page of the prologue I was drawn into the story. It has been a long time since I read a book with ghosts in the plot line. This was a good one to read to re-introduce myself to ghost stories.

Not only is this book about a girl who can see ghosts, it is a mystery, as well. As I read, I had more and more questions: How did Chloe inherit her abilities? What happened to her roommate? What exactly is up with Derek? Who is the ghost trying to contact her at the group home? Where is Simon and Derek's father? Some of these questions were answered, but you just know there is more just waiting to be revealed in the next two books.

There are some very interesting characters in this book. First, there is Chloe, a shy late-bloomer who finds herself in a strange situation. Then, there are the brothers, Simon and Derek, who are surrounded by mystery. Rae, Chloe's friend at the group home, is a girl who is kind but isn't quite what she seems to be. Tori is the token mean girl in this book, but you're left wondering what she's covering up. Add the various adults with murky motives and the ghosts and you've got quite the ensemble.

The more I read, the more I was anxious to see what would happen next. There's mystery, subterfuge, foreboding, some horror, and just a smattering of underlying romance that may or may not turn into something in later books. It is very fitting that Chloe is a movie buff, because there were moments during the reading of this book that I found myself worrying over her actions like I would a character in a horror movie. I just wish that the conclusion of this first book had been wrapped up just a little more. Instead, it ended with the beginning of a conversation, which left me a little frustrated, as I can't get to the library to pick up the next book in the series until tomorrow, plus I have a ton of homework over the next three weeks. I guess I shall just have to wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Summoning.

Quotes Marla Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“He wore sweatpants and a T-shirt and had stopped in the middle of the hall, furiously scratching one bare forearm. "Fleas?" I said.”
Kelley Armstrong, The Summoning

Kelley Armstrong
“Simon: Anyone ever tell you your sense of timing really sucks?
Derek: That's why I don't play the drums. Now what's up?”
Kelley Armstrong, The Summoning