Ann's Reviews > The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan

The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan by Nancy Springer

May 06, 11

bookshelves: mysteries, young-adult, audio-books
Read from April 29 to May 05, 2011, read count: 1

Yet another entertaining installment in the Enola Holmes mystery series.

In this, the fourth installment, Enola finds herself once again having to rescue the Left-Handed Lady, from a terrible, constricting fate.

Since it had been over a year since I'd listened to the "Left-Handed Lady" I'm afraid some of the impact of her return was lost on me, and I had to rely on what was included in this book to refresh my memory. That said, I was thrilled that much of this book finally focused on Enola's relationship with her brothers (Sherlock mainly) and I shall, "Spare the gentle reader" from divulging any details, but it's something which I'd been anxious for Springer to delve into and had been, admittedly, a little annoyed that it hadn't been explored yet. So, I was thrilled this came at book four and I found the results fairly pleasing.

I admit that after four works I'm growing a tad bored with the constant references to and reliance on sexism in the era. I mean, I don't mind a little bit, but it's starting to feel a little over used here, and I'd like to see the plots branch out a little. Also, Springer's sub-characters can tend to be a little one dimensional (either all good or all bad) - it's nothing that's really bothered me before, but since this is the fourth book I'd love to see, not only growth in Enola, but also expanding depth in the story lines. And, some of Enola's musings about her relationship with her mother seem a little redundant as well. But, these are fairly nitpicky, and if you enjoyed the previous books in the series, you should enjoy this one just as much - if not a little more - just don't expect anything much different (aside from the sibling stuff).

On a pleasant note for me personally, there was really nothing "icky" in this book! Yay! I'm always hesitant to list these books as Middle Grade, because frankly some of the stuff mentioned is not what I would consider middle grade, and frankly even *I* find it a wee bit on the disturbing side. But there wasn't anything (that I can readily recall) that was as adult or gruesome as some of the stuff in previous books - a welcomed change for me :)

So, I'm still planning to read (or, listen to rather as I listen to the audio books which are wonderfully narrated by Katherine Kellgren!) the next book(s) in the series. This was definitely one of my favorites so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Looking forward to this--oh, how I wish that CD wasn't stuck, for multiple reasons!!! :-/