Jake's Reviews > Among the Brave

Among the Brave by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Mar 22, 11

Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Yet another from Margeret Peterson Haddix, and they are getting to be more interesting as the story develops. This one is from the point of view from Trey, who is the most scared one of them all. Partly because the first time he saw sunshine was when he was 12, but his biggest act of braveness was coming outside to outside time at Hendricks School.
What I liked about this book was that the author took a not very important character and made them important. What Haddix did was take Trey, the most scared third child ever, and make him try to go out rescue his friends. He got Lukes brother, Mark, to help him but Mark soon gets captured, Trey has to save him. But in the process, Trey uses the Latin word liber (translates to free) as he thinks it could be important or mean something. His assumption was correct and he rescues Mark.
What I disliked about the book was that the entire book wasn't much of a book. A good side story maybe, but the whole book was Trey getting lucky after he said liber to the security guard to rescue Mark. Not much of a plot is what I'm trying to say.
What surprised me about the book was how intense in action in the book got. I say this because there are about five to ten pages in the book about Trey and Mark running out of Population Police Headquarters getting sprayed at with pullets as the spin the tires and peal out from there. And as they are running away, Population Police officers chase them down in there cars, still spraying guns.
What impacted my thinking was the length Trey went to to rescue his friends. he has barely even known them a year, and he went through a life or death situation to rescue them with Luke's brother, who he didn't even know.
I would recommend this book for Shadow Children Book Followers only, due to the lack of plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Brave.