Monica!'s Reviews > I Never Promised You a Rose Garden

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg

I read this book to pieces when I was twelve but haven't opened it in about ten years, because I'm a little worried I won't find it quite as brilliant. So I'm basing my review totally on Tween Me's potentially overly-dramatic opinion.

Tween Me thought this book was fantastic. The angst! The anger! The questionable medical practices of the psych staff! Deborah's triumph over her schizophrenia, of course, was somewhat lost on Tween Me. I was mainly concerned with how incredibly sexy Anterrabae was (yum), and how much I wished I could speak a magical made-up language like Yr-ish.

A work of staggering genius this is not. None of the characters aside from Deborah are ever particularly fleshed-out, and her therapist comes off as kind of a frigid witch. Plus, it definitely has its dated moments, which might make you as the reader stumble a little. But! It's a great look at an above-average teen dealing with a whole lot of crazy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Never Promised You a Rose Garden.