Kirsty's Reviews > Repeat It Today with Tears

Repeat It Today with Tears by Anne Peile

Mar 22, 2011

Read from March 22 to 25, 2011

I picked this book up in the library because the cover grabbed my attention and, when I read the back cover copy, I was torn as to whether to take it home. This book deals with the incredibly taboo topic of incest and so I knew it would be a difficult read, but something about the title and the description made me want to read on. So I decided to go with it.

The first thing to say about this book is that the writing is beautiful. Such a sensitive subject could easily become crass, explicit and disgusting but, whilst there are obviously sex scenes in the book, these are not described graphically but are more focussed on what's going on in Susanna's head. This is a deeply disturbing read but the prose is written with such finesse that somehow it is moving and poignant at the same time.

Susie is an interesting character. She's manipulative and clearly very screwed up, bordering on evil, yet there was something about her that made me want to give her a huge hug and tell her that she's not alone. Same with Jack, although he didn't know that Susie was his daughter, he knew that he was committing a taboo by dating someone so you, especially given that he was married, which should make him an unlikeable character, yet it doesn't.

What I also liked about this book is that it doesn't attempt to romanticize the book. It never questions the moral standpoint that incest is very wrong. It just chronicles one girl's experiences with it and her mental decline as the relationship progresses.

I finished this book a few days ago and I'm still thinking about it. I think this is one that will stay with me for a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Repeat It Today with Tears.

03/22/2011 page 1
03/25/2011 page 186
100.0% "review to follow"
show 1 hidden update…