Joni Thomas's Reviews > Brother/Sister

Brother/Sister by Sean Olin

Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, teen, young-adult, mystery, reviewed
Read in April, 2011

A mind-blowing read. This is such a fast paced read, I read it in one day. I would have read it in one sitting if not for the 3 year old running around my house. My point is that when I had to put it down, I regretted it. I finished this book a few days ago and I still find my mind drifting back to the way it ended.
It all starts on what appears to be the best day of Will and Asheley's lives. Will wins the local golf tournament and Asheley helps her softball team win a game against their biggest rivals. Unfortunately their day, and lives, all goes down hill from there. Will returns home to find their mother drunk after 4 months of sobriety. After the worst blowout he has witnessed from her, which is includes his mother attacking Will with his the trophy he just won from the tournament, his mother is sent away to a local rehab facility. Meanwhile, Asheley is out to a celebratory dinner with her teammates and is finally being included in the conversations going on around her. Then her boyfriend shows up and is very disrespectful to her right in front of the team. She drags him out of the restaurant and is so embarrassed she heads home. Things do not improve from there.
For a while things appear to work out. Will and Asheley are able to take care of themselves while their mother is in rehab. Things take a turn for the worst when Asheley decides to have a party that gets wildly out of control. This party is the beginning of the end for this team of "wonder twins", as they call themselves.
To give a thorough review of this book would mean revealing things that could ruin the book for some people. So instead I will just say that this book had me guessing until the very end. There were so many twists and turns. I could imagine this being adapted into an episode of Criminal Minds or CSI. A great book for those who like the Young Adult thriller genre.
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brother/Sister.