Shaz Goodwin's Reviews > Knowing Me Knowing You

Knowing Me Knowing You by Mandy Baggot

Mar 22, 11

Read in February, 2011

This is the second novel of MB’s I’ve read and although I enjoyed Breaking the Ice, her writing style, character and plot seem to improve the more confidence she gains as an author.

When we meet Kate her life is not at all what she expected it to be. She is unbelieving and numb about the departure of Matthew, with her self-worth dragging behind her. I was quickly drawn into her story, not only because it starts to unfold from the beginning but also because of the style of writing. I loved the fact that Kate’s background information is not lengthy and drawn-out but unwinds gently as the story takes shape. Kate is actually a very strong woman, despite the knocks. Her sense of humour comes across very strongly and I often had a smile on my face. She is the type of person I would choose to have as a friend! Our hero, Joel, is introduced to us quite early in the story. I loved the way MB created him as a ‘male model’ stereotype but with depth in his soul. He is very solid and despite his own hang-ups, very centred and balanced (although prepared to be sleazy and under-hand himself).

I loved all the characters in this book. ‘Mione, to me, is the epitome of the ‘earth mother’. She is a nurturer on an outer and inner level. Lynn is a work colleague we would all love to have and Kate’s arch-nemesis, Miranda is the woman we all love to hate! Matthew is the ex quite a few of us may have had the misfortune to meet at some point in our lives …………………….…….

Even though I have read quite a few ‘love stories’ with plots that are very similar, at no point is this story laborious. The tension comes at just the right point to keep your interest and you feel yourself championing the lead characters. There are some explosive moments where I found myself holding my breath and one crisis in particular I hadn’t figured on at all!

I love to read chick lit where we see our heroine at her worst, follow her on her life’s path, empathise with lessons that lead to growth, identify with her and finally see her glowing and where she should be – and this book has it all. This is much more than a love story – the plot and sub plot will hold your interest throughout. It is a positive story that is full of hope and promise. Go get it for the feel-good factor!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knowing Me Knowing You.