Michelle's Reviews > If I Stay

May 27, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: books-at-sf-library, audio, young-adult
Read in May, 2013

It was probably a mistake to listen to this. The reader was wrong for the voice of the main character. She sounded too adult. And at the end the melodramatic intonation made me grimace.

That aside, the story was interesting, and Mia's dilemma was heartbreaking. I think I might have liked it more had I read it, though. And I'm not a fan of so much flashback. I prefer to be in the present in a story, and half of the novel, as narrated by Mia, is her review of what happened before she ended up where she was. I don't want to give anything away, but it didn't work that well for me. I understand why it was told that way, and I am not sure it could have been done any other way. It just wasn't my favorite thing.

I may or may not read more in this series, but if I do, I am not going to listen to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

05/27/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Jacobson Funnily enough, I listened to this one too and I thought the exact same thing about the narrator. I'm kind of interested to know what happens next but so far I haven't been interested enough to pick up the next book to find out.

Michelle I'm curious, too. The next book is told from the boyfriend's perspective. It could be interesting. But I think if I do get around to it, I'll read it. I'm pretty sure I would have given this four stars if I had read it. But the narrator sort of changed the mood of the story for me.