Fani loves angst's Reviews > A Marriage of Inconvenience

A Marriage of Inconvenience by Susanna Fraser

This is a book difficult to rate because it went from a keeper to a wall banger to an enganging read only to end as just OK.

I don't feel like saying much about the plot, since the description here in Goodreads says it all:
The heroine gets secretly engaged to her favorite cousin but then he meets the hero's sister, jilts her for the rich-chick and the hero and heroine who have been friends so far, get caught in a compromising position and forced to wed.

The first half/part of the book was perfect. The part where Lucy and James get better acquainted with each other, the friendship that slowly turns to attraction, Lucy's feelings of guilt since she's betrothed to another, James' admiration of Lucy's strength and courage, all were exquisitely done. I felt their attraction, their tenderness, their misgivings, their hesitation, their passion. And then, they were forced to marry and everything went downhill. Suddenly, Lucy transformed from a calm, steady, intelligent and self-possessed heroine to a frightened, insecure, self-questioning woman that couldn't believe she was worthy of being a viscountess. On top of that, for a woman with enough passion and sufficient lack of self-control to get caught in 'flagrante delicto', she suddenly develops so much self control that she "can't let herself go" during the physical act and have an orgasm. At that point and for the following 60 pages or so, the whole focus of the book turned to whether Lucy would have an orgasm or not. She was frustrated, her husband was frustrated and this poor reader was even more frustrated than both of them.

However, eventually Lucy did get an orgasm -hallelujah!- and the plot could move forward once more. I really liked this part of the book as well, where a big misunderstanding forces our heroes apart and threatens their newfound happiness. I found their reactions realistic, their angst heartbreaking and was looking forward to their reconciliation. And since this a romance, of course there was one. It left me however somewhat disappointed. The ending in my opinion lacked oomph, a certain passion, a feeling that those two were really indispensable to each other instead of just a good match. Though those two were well suited, I read romances for that rare smoldering heat and passion that are not easily met in real life; Not for the understanding and tenderness that's so often met in most happy marriages anyway. But that might just be me after all. I can't help but wishing that the ending was stronger though.

So, 3 stars for the second half and 5 for the first, result in a total of 4 stars. Still, I can't help but feel saddened for the feeling of lost potential in this one. I did like the author's writing style so much though, that I'll probably try more books of hers in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Marriage of Inconvenience.

04/06/2011
15.0% "Dunnit! I read one of those reviews that reveal too many without any warning:( If what it said is true, the book is not what I expected it to be. But I like it so far."
04/07/2011
30.0% "I'm going to ignore than silly review, because the book is too good to spoil it by wondering about what may or may not happen eventually. I just love it."
04/08/2011
50.0% "Well, I didn't like Sebastian to begin with but I feel like punching him right now. Thank god he's NOT the hero."
04/10/2011
80.0% "As much as I love it initially, the heroine is ruining it for me now. And I hate the fact that for over 60 pages, all the focus moved to whether the heroine would get an orgasm or not:("

Jess the Romanceaholic Ah I hate when that happens. It's a great book I thought :) It wasn't my review that spoiled things for you was it?

Fani loves angst No, thankfully it was none of my GR friends, just a random reader. Since I've been burned many times by the same mistake, you'd think I'd learned by now to not read random reviews for books I have but not read yet.

Is she right and is not the book stand alone but leaves the ending open? And she claims her husband -the hero- is evil, so now I'm afraid to like him!

Jess the Romanceaholic Erm. Well...

The HERO of this book is James, per the book's description...

James is in no way evil. I will leave it at that so's not to spoil you further ;)

But yes, this is actually a prequel to the previously published The Sergeant's Lady, so don't read anything about that book until you've finished this one because that WILL spoil you.

...and don't read the review on my website either lol Now that I think about it I may need to add a spoiler warning of my own to the review on my site (my GR review is safe) :)

Fani loves angst Ok! Thanks for the warnings Jess:) I had no idea this doesn't have a HEA in the end, and it came as a big shock to me.

Jess the Romanceaholic ahhhhhhhhh I want to say something but it'd be a spoiler, so I'll just say keep reading -- I think you'll still like it :)

Fani loves angst I know that frustration but thanks for keeping quiet, lol! I like the writing so far and, for better or worse, I like James and Lucy.

message 7: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane *reads the other review* Ah! I see! No, just discard that review ^^

Fani loves angst I decided to do just that Rane! I like the book so much right now that I hate to spoil it by thinking what may or may not happen in the end.

message 9: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Lucy did get an orgasm -hallelujah!

LMAO! OMG! That's great!

I think SF may have wanted the readers to check out the other story?

Great Review Fani!

message 10: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani loves angst Thanks Rane!

Yes, I think she did and I admit I was not very happy about the time the secondary couple stole from our heroes, but it was not too bad either. But the whole orgasm thing was infuriating:( If it was a paperback, I think I would have skipped pages at that point and moved to the 'after the orgasm' part.

Still I enjoyed the rest of the book a lot. I think I might try Anna's story in the future.

message 11: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani loves angst ahem, it's Fani not Rane Mia, but thanks anyway:)

message 12: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani loves angst It's ok Mia! I got the gist anyway, don't worry. Sorry for making your TBR even bigger though:( I know most of use can't afford to easily add new books on those gigantic mountains:)

willaful I couldn't agree with you more. Her other book is much better, if you haven't read it yet.

message 14: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani loves angst Thanks willaful! I must admit, I've basically forgotten nearly all about this book, but I will check out her other book since you find it worthwhile:)

willaful I don't even know what to think of that weird other review. It was like since she wanted the book to turn out a certain way, she assumed the author must be leading towards that and left a cliffhanger, which is baloney.

message 16: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani loves angst I guess she didn't bother to read the (whole?) book before writing or review:( I wonder if she even read a chapter at all.

Jess the Romanceaholic I think the other reviewer somehow thought that ANNA was the heroine of this book (rather than Lucy), since it serves as a prequel to Anna's book (The Sergeant's Lady)? That's the only way it makes even a bit of sense to me :P

willaful Except, who did she think Anna should have ended up with? There isn't anybody else in the book for her, is there?

message 19: by willaful (last edited Aug 25, 2012 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

willaful I went back and reread it and you're right -- she calls Anna the main character twice. WTH? And who else should she have been with? Sebastian's drunken gross brother? Her own brother?! There aren't any other men in the story!

message 20: by Fani (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fani loves angst Oooh! Keeping it in the family! That would certainly spice up things:) Well, I still insist she didn't read the whole book; probably skimmed through it. The sad thing is she felt like she had to write a review after doing that:(