Liz's Reviews > The Secret of Ka

The Secret of Ka by Christopher Pike

Mar 22, 2011

it was ok

A story of an American girl who while visting in Turkey with her father falls in love with a local boy, discovers a flying carpet that takes her to an island inhabited with djinns (genies), and must prevent a war between three mystical races from starting up once again. An enjoyable novel somewhat but I found the two main characters to lack real personality. They are typical teenagers: selfish, hotheaded, and stubborn. Because of this I felt no chemistry between them and their love to be artificial, as if they were thrown together simply because the author felt that there needed to be some sort of romantic interest for the young girl. If you ignore that, you will see what else the novel provides; thrilling action sequences, great detail into the mythology of the djinns, and true potential for this to be a fairly decent series....so long as Pike gets off his ass and develops the characters a little more thoroughly.

Targeted towards teens but I must disagree with that and say that I think the 10-13 year olds would get more of a kick out of it than the older teens. Anyone older would realize how demented these characters are, the younger crowd wouldn't know any better. No real swearing other than the word 'hell' popping up here and there and the violence is not detailed.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret of Ka.