Lynn's Reviews > The Day the Falls Stood Still

The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan

Mar 22, 11

** spoiler alert ** I really enjoyed learning more about Niagara Falls, especially in the early 20th century. Bess is a young woman of priviledge who seems to have the world at her feet. She is a matched to a prominent business man, her family has a beautiful home over looking the falls. But things quickly start to turn for Bess-her father loses his job, her sister becomes pregnant and commits suicide and her mother starts to withdraw. Bess finds comfort in the likes of Tom Cole, a working class young man with not much to offer Bess but his love and his power and knowledge of the falls. Trying to make the best of her situation, Bess builds a family with Tom. I grew up near Niagara Falls and was had a frightened respect for them. It was wonderful to have the Falls be the background to this moving story. The end is heartbreaking and I could only imagine Bess waiting at the whirlpools for her beloved Tom's body to finally resurface. But in keeping with the story line, I can see why it didn't happen and they finally claimed him as their own.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Day the Falls Stood Still.