Kirsten's Reviews > The Impossible Country: A Journey Through the Last Days of Yugoslavia

The Impossible Country by Brian Hall

Mar 22, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction-drama-poetry, politics-philosophy-allegory, read-in-2011, tip-top
Recommended to Kirsten by: Elizabeth
Recommended for: anyone interested in the Balkans, European history, or socio-political writing.
Read from March 22 to May 01, 2011

It's incredible the feats of understanding and compassion that can be achieved simply by talking to people. This remarkable book holds a glass to the multiple voices of the Balkans, just as the former Yugoslavia was beginning to dissolve into violence and genocide in the early nineties. Hall, like a novelist, presents us with people and their stories first. He asks difficult--sometimes explosive--questions of those he meets while traveling throughout what is now Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, and Bosnia. He doesn't give us an easy "answer," but he provides us with portraits, and in so doing, troubles the notion of nationalism and ethnic divisions everywhere, not only in the "impossible country." It is a deeply moving, lovingly written book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Impossible Country.