Kirsty's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

Sep 26, 11

bookshelves: romance, chick-lit, fiction, owned, books-to-movies
Read from September 17 to 25, 2011

OK. I have to be completely honest and upfront with this. I do not get why this book got so much hype. I really don't.

It tells the story of Emma and Dexter, who spent their graduation night together on 15th July 1988. The following day, they go their seperate ways - swapping addresses, but not knowing whether they'll see each other again. The book is a snapshot of their lives on that same day, every year for the next 19 years. It follows their ups and downs, their relationships, their careers and, most important of all, their friendship.

As I mentioned, this book received a lot of hype and has now been turned into a movie, which I have yet to see. Whilst the writing was good and the plot interesting, I just don't feel like it was as amazing as I had been led to believe.

The characters of Em and Dex were well developed and it was interesting to see the dynamics between them change as their relationship developed over the years. What I did like is that Nicholls shows you what 'might have been' throughout the book - showing missed opportunities, unsent letters, unanswered phone calls. It teases the reader into wondering what could have happened if only that letter had been posted, phone had been answered, etc.

I did love the technique used - the snippet of the characters lives through that one day gave the reader just enough to keep the story going, but allowed them to use their imagination to build up the time in-between. I think it worked incredibly well for this kind of story and it kept the story from becoming slow.

Without giving away spoilers, I will say that the ending annoyed me. It didn't seem to follow in the theme or message of the rest of the book and it just felt a little disjointed.

In all an ok, but ultimately disappointing, read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.

09/18/2011 page 20