Min's Reviews > Tressed to Kill

Tressed to Kill by Lila Dare

Mar 22, 11

Read in March, 2011

This is the first in the Southern Beauty Shop Mystery series, and it was rather fun read that included organic beauty recipes.

Grace Terhune and her mother Violetta run a beauty shop in a small town in Georgia. The action all starts one day when the high society ladies pack the house getting their hair done in anticipation of an important town hall meeting. However, one of the most important ladies in the town (whose appointment in high-end salon was cancelled and, therefore she was forced to "slum it" in Violetta's beauty shop) gets her hair done and her highlights go wrong because she steps out of the shop and messes up the timing. However, she refuses to accept the blame and vows to get the shop closed. By the end of the night, she's dead.

Of course, Grace and Violetta become the primary suspects since there were plenty of people who heard what's-her-name threaten to get their shop closed, and neither of them have solid alibis. To top it off, Grace's ex-husband is on the police force and their divorce was far from amicable, and he would love nothing more than to throw her behind bars.

As is usual with beauty shops, Violetta's becomes a hub of gossip, but then it transforms into a hub for gossip as it as actually closes. A special agent is called in to investigate, and he, too sets his sights on Grace.

The characters in this book were vivid, lively, and extremely likeable. I kept guessing about who the killer was, and the ending did not disappoint. Unlike some mysteries, the red herring character was not overplayed. The subplot involving the docent at the local historical society was really interesting, and it made me actually wish I could visit the place!

This is another cosy series I'll be adding to my regular reading list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tressed to Kill.