Saharvetes's Reviews > Introduction to Algorithms

Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen

M_50x66
Mar 22, 11

I own a copy

Rather pointless to review this, as in most places this is the algorithms textbook. It's a good book that covers all the major algorithms in sufficient detail with every step clearly spelled out for the students' benefit.

Unfortunately, this neatness of presentation is also its most major drawback: (1) it spends more time describing algorithms than giving the reader an idea of how to design them, and (2) it can easily give the impression that algorithms is about spending a lot of time proving obvious correctness results, which is not how people think of algorithms in real life (whether in academia, or in "real world" applications). For this reason, I'd recommend not using this fat book, and instead using either Kleinberg and Tardos's Algorithm Design, or Dasgupta–Papadimitriou–Vazirani's Algorithms, or Skeina's The Algorithm Design Manual, which are all better at showing you how to think about algorithms the right way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Introduction to Algorithms.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Qubitng Your 2nd paragraph is the reason why I gave this book 3 stars. I found many colleges use this book without a good teacher who can transform this into a living subject rather than the taxidermied one as presented in the book.