Jamie's Reviews > Dream When You're Feeling Blue

Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg

Mar 31, 11

bookshelves: research-stuff
Read from March 29 to 31, 2011

This book has the biggest WTF ending ever stapled to the back of an almost-finished manuscript. I won't spoil it because the WTF-factor doesn't quite smack you upside the head unless you've read the whole thing. Just be very careful not to read the last few pages before it's time--not that you'd recognize them anyway.

I don't mind an unexpected ending, actually I think they're great, they're the reason I crave stories. But one of the rules is that you have to build toward it and at the same time, cast doubt in the reader's mind. Berg accomplished none of this. The Heany Sisters are the only characters with personalities, which are limited at best. Their boyfriends are mostly absent except for their letters. The parents are almost caricatures of Irish people, but not quite. The Heany Brothers: I could hardly remember their names, never mind telling them apart. Besides the Giant WTF Ending, the storyline is predictable and cliche. Unless you masturbate to Eisenstaedt's Time Square Victory Kiss photograph, don't waste you're time.

That being said, Dream When You're Feeling Blue is really REALLY well researched. (That being the reason I read this in the first place; because I'm doing (slacking on) similar research for a project of my own. I'd hoped that this book would help me get back on track. It did.) When I say well-researched, I mean REALLY. There are details in here I wouldn't have thought of looking for, like, mascara used to come in cake form. And V-mail, I'd never even heard of that. So in that respect I must say, well done, Elizabeth Berg, well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream When You're Feeling Blue.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Martha Friend, do not read this book. I made the mistake of picking it up for a beach trip a few years ago and I wanted to throw it into the ocean. I feel that your literary tastes are also probably high above this. Just a thought.

Jamie Thanks Martha. Too bad I didn't see this comment until it was too late. Fortunately, it didn't take more than 4 hours out of my life (and that includes trying to read when I'm stoned) so I wrote a review with you in mind.

Martha Very well put. I didn't hate the book throughout, just the ending like you said. And although it was all highly predictable, it did have its good points.