Crystel's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Aug 29, 12

Read from February 11 to August 24, 2012

Holy sweet mother of HECK YES I FINISHED. So, I started this book in February (yes, February), with the audio version. I listened to the first book, "Matched," and while I didn't love the narration, I thought I'd try out the next one on audio to keep things consistent. I believe that it was this decision that set me up for failure. The narration got WORSE, especially with the fluffy, flowery, male narrator who I kept on telling to put his big boy panties on to. Seriously - awful. I would give up on this book for weeks at a time, and then start it up again after feeling bad because heck, I did pay $15 for the dang thing.

Fast forward to the beginning of August, and I decided to check out the book from the library, because hot damn, I could not listen to it any longer. Reading it was a little easier, as I could mock the characters in my own voice. Ahhh. That felt nice.

I will admit that Condie has a wonderfully poetic voice. It really is lovely. However, she really lacks in pacing and plot structure. Most of the book is reflection about things on walls, and fish, and water. Okaaaay ... so what, Condie? Not much happens in this novel, and I think it could have been shortened down to about 1/2 of what it ended up being. I understand the popularity of trilogies right now, but I think Condie could have had a two book series and done much better than I think she will. At this point, I am not sure if I really care about what happens in the next book, and I don't think I am alone in that feeling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

07/11/2012 "I am listening to this book on audio, and it's slowly killing me. I don't know if it's the narration or the actual content, but holy moly is it slow! I started this book about 4 months ago, and I still have 3 hours left. Must ... keep ... going ..." 2 comments
07/18/2012 "Would it be bad if I just gave up on this book? I really don't think I care to listen to the last 3 hours of it anymore. I kind of hope the characters die in a very poetic river, filled with poetic rainbow fish, and poetic ripples on the poetic surface."