Karen's Reviews > Pearl of China

Pearl of China by Anchee Min

F_50x66
Mar 22, 11

Read in March, 2011

I have just read this and another historical fiction and really liked both. However, I think how well I like books many times depends on how I am feeling personally while reading a book.
This is in truth a book that covers the history of Communism in China told around the life of Pearl S. Buck. It was a great book. I checked on the dates, events, and historical figures covered in the book and all were correct. Reading this book (and the next book I will review) made me begin to understand why so many people and nations believed in communismn and had such hope that it would bring balance and equality to their people. The tragedy is that people/leaders who gain the respect, turst, and love of the people following them, usually begin to love the power and riches of their position more than the people and their needs. They then turn against the very ideals their people followed them to achieve and place the people in situations far worse than those they fought so hard to eliminate.
The fictions characters in this book were wonderful. So believable and well developed. The descriptions of China were so detailed that you can't come away from this reading without a better understand of the Country, its beauty, and its people. You living in cities. The facts included about Buck and her family were all well researched and very intersting. I have love reading her books, and I think I will enjoy reading more of her work in the future because I feel I know her better now.
I would recommend this book to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pearl of China.