Anita's Reviews > The Sweet Scent of Blood

The Sweet Scent of Blood by Suzanne McLeod

Oct 15, 2011

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, five-star-favorites, paranormal-mystery, paranormal-romance
Read in October, 2011

This is the first book in the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series. It's half modern fairy tale/half vampire story, and it has some fairly dark moments. The story and characters are very well written-I'm still wondering about them a couple days after finishing the book. I could see this becoming a favorite series.

Genny is half Sidhe fairy, and it takes a while to find out what her other half is, so I won't spoil it. She works for witches at a company that specializes in removing harmful spells. One day, the father of a recently turned vampire shows up to beg her to look at the body of the women his son is accused of killing to search for signs of magic. Not her usual gig, and Genny tries very hard to stear clear of vampires because fey taste like dessert to them, but someone calls in a favor and she's forced to take the case. Then she comes in contact with a whole bunch of vampires and other supes, culminating in a to-the-death showdown.

The only think I don't like about the writing in this book is the way the author handles transitions. It's all written from Genny's perspective, but sometimes when Genny is a bit disoriented or has changed states rapidly in a magic spell, the reader gets lost. A little more explaination would have helped in those instances. My score is really a 4.5 stars, but I am so looking forward to the next in the series that I rounded up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Scent of Blood.