Chris's Reviews > Grave Illusions

Grave Illusions by Lina Gardiner

Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: vampires, mystery, fantasy-urban, dnf, kindle-freebie

This book starts with a promising idea - a vampire who is a vampire with speical ablities because her brother, a priest, saved her soul when she was turned, hunts down other vampires in the City of New York. I have to Gardiner full credit for keeping vampires as overall evil, yet explaining how her lead vampire Jess and second vampire James, are different. It worked.

Sadly that was the best thing about the book. I should admit that I didn't finish this one.

The problems are many. First there is not a good sense of setting. Second, there is not a good sense of character; all secondary characters seem interchangable and clice. Jess, the female vampire, is flat and quite frankly, it is unclear how she has so much experience fighting vampires. New York is really Sunnydale? Third, the plotting is strange and the time movement of the book is jumping. Fourth, all Jess needs is a good - - - - bythe right man. Fifth, Jess dresses really sexy and in too high heels for a cop who wants people to take her seriously.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Illusions.