Melissa Rudder's Reviews > Anne of the Island

Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery

May 21, 11

Read from March 16 to 21, 2011

L.M. Montgomery's Anne of the Island effectively revitalized my interest in that young woman with auburn hair and, admittedly, a few freckles on her nose. After Anne of Avonlea, I nearly abandoned the series, fearing that the charm and life of Green Gables was a fluke. It came back in Island with a renewed focus on Anne, her growth, and--finally--her love life.

Island's portrayal of Anne's adjustments to college life is perfect. With the sparkle and gleam of Anne's simple, warm world, Montgomery still manages to fittingly portray the insecurities and wonders of the first moments of independence and loneliness. She even captures the awkward nomadic feeling of college life, as Anne works hard to create a loveable, enchanting home with her college roommates at Patty's Place and yet still feels drawn to her old home and old friends at Green Gables. It's very well done and I wish I had read it when I graduated from high school.

Finally, in Island, Anne stops dreaming and writing about romantic love and begins to accept that it could actually happen to her, freckles and all. Montgomery uses a classic two suitor style, which, while expected, is still well executed and fulfilling.

I stopped my journey with Anne here, mostly because the next installment, Anne of Windy Poplars, was written later than the rest and isn't available on kindle yet. I'm fairly certain that I will return to Avonlea though. I can't resist Anne.

"Thinks seen pass away, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

"I'm pretty sure no life can be properly developed and rounded out without some trial and sorrow--though I suppose it is only when we are pretty comfortable that we admit it."

"Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make country schoolmarms!"

"We are never half so interesting when we have learned hat language is given us to enable us to conceal our thoughts."

"Experience teaches sense. You can't learn it in a college course."

"Humor is the spiciest condiment in the feast of existence. Laugh at your mistakes but learn from them, joke over your troubles but gather strength from them, make a jest of your difficulties but overcome them."

"When you've learned to laugh at the things that should be laughed at, and not to laugh at those that shouldn't, you've got wisdom and understanding."

"Look upon each little hindrance as a jest and each great one as the foreshadowing of victory."

"There is so much in the world for us all if we only have the eyes to see it, and the heart to love it, and the hand to gather it to ourselves--so much in men and women, so much in art and literature, so much everywhere in which to delight, and for which to be thankful."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of the Island.