Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews's Reviews > I Think I Love You

I Think I Love You by Allison Pearson

Mar 22, 11

Read in March, 2011

Would you take the chance to go back and have the one thing you wanted and never knew you got?

Thus is the premise of I Think I Love You. I wasn’t totally sure what I’d selected to read, even when I got a hold of the blurb. I mean, David Cassidy was popular long before I was born. I’d heard of him, but he isn’t my idea of an idol. But that’s what’s great about this book. So what if I didn’t grow up loving David Cassidy. I had the New Kids on the Block for my generation. Ms. Pearson’s story is so fluid, so intriguing, I can super-impose the persons I know in place of David and it works. That’s the beauty of the book. It works. The characters are interesting and flawed. I could relate to them immediately. I read this book in nearly one sitting, it’s that fascinating.

This book is told in two halves. One half is told via the Petra and Bill of 1974. Feathery hair, wide bottom pants, and the golden tones of Donny Osmond, The Bay City Rollers and yes, David Cassidy floating through the air. I wasn’t there, but as seen through the eyes of Petra and Bill, I could be. I laughed at times and found myself rueful at others. I could relate to Petra’s circle of friends. The girls are a tad stereotypical, but really, in school, there are always stereotypical people. But I liked being there. It was a trip down memory lane complete with the sadness and frustration of trying to deal with people who felt better than you. Then there’s the 1998 versions of Petra and Bill. Both are wiser and have been kicked around by life. It was both interesting and sad to see what had become of them. I won’t go into much more detail, but the journey they take is totally worth the read.

If you want characters that will stick with you long after the book closes, then you need to read this book. It’s a fun trip down memory lane and lots of fun. I give I Think I Love You 4 books.

Originally posted at http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Think I Love You.