Kalen's Reviews > Dancer

Dancer by Colum McCann

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read from March 22 to 27, 2011

If I could give this book more than 5 stars, I would. Best book of the year so far. This is the second book I've read of McCann's and I don't know how he writes so perfectly. Every word belongs and the structure is perfect (including Victor's single-sentence drug-fueled chapter and the way the Russian chapters become fewer and farther between the more time and distance between Nureyev and his family.)

I don't feel I know Rudolf Nureyev any better than I did before, but I think that's the point. He was such a public figure and larger-than-life that no one really knew him except for perhaps his longtime maid and maybe his longtime lover, Erik Bruhn. I felt I knew his sister, his maid, and several other narrators better than I did the subject of the book. I was choked up by the end and still feel my chest tighten thinking about this devastating and beautiful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancer.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kalen "They spread the cigarettes out on the table and straightened them, stuff the stray tobacco back into the thin paper tubes. His father tells him that this is the dream of men, to straighten crumpled things."

Kalen "When his homework is finished he runs to the lake to check the flags along the shore. If they are at half-mast it means someone eminent has died, and this delights him since later Tchaikovsky will be on the wireless again, uninterrupted, and his mother will lean into it also."

Kalen "Have interest in only what you can't do well."

Kalen "He touched my hand and said: Yulia, don't ever let them poison your life with narrowness."

message 5: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn Oh no! Another book to add to my MUST READ IMMEDIATELY list! How will I ever get them all read? Thanks for the review. I'll be patient and put it on the Must Read This year list!