J. Rosemary Moss's Reviews > The Boys from Brazil

The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin

Mar 22, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, judaica, kindle, sci-fi, suspense, thriller, alternate-history
Read on March 22, 2011

This book had me on the edge of my seat; it's worth suspending disbelief for. The cat-and-mouse game between Josef Mengele and a Nazi hunter, mixed with a sci-fi plot about nature versus nurture, makes for a fast, absorbing read.

If you're not familiar with Josef Mengele, read up on him before you begin. The book only hints at what a butcher this "Angel of Death" was. (Knowing he was still alive and at large in South America when this book came out gave me pause while reading it.)

My one complaint about this story is that the characters seem like rough sketches. I wanted to grow attached to Liebermann, the Nazi hunter (based loosely on Simon Wiesenthal) and Klaus, a young German who helps him. But they seemed more servants to the plot than characters in their own right. Still, I'll probably revisit this book--if only to study the art of creating suspense.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boys from Brazil.

05/18 marked as: read