Gloria Mundi's Reviews > Halfway to the Grave

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Aug 06, 14

bookshelves: vamps, paranormal-romance, urban-fantasy, series-abandoned, wtf, love-and-romance
Read from March 22 to 24, 2011

I added a star for Bones (who is undeniably hot despite the name), otherwise this really should have been a one star book as I had too many problems with the concept to really enjoy it.

- The relationship between Cat and Bones develops too fast. (I can't stand that name, by the way. Bones. Really? Why? I know Crispin isn't great either but Bones, FFS!) About halfway through he has already declared his love for her (after beating her up and threatening to kill her on the first date) and then it's as though Frost got to the end and realised, shit, I can't let them be together already, I am writing a series here, so she writes in some super secret spies to drag things out. The whole ending was just stupid and completely contrived.

- The prejudice and unnecessary violence. It seems that killing people/vamps for Cat and Bones is a complete no brainer. No moral agonising over their actions for these two. And they are pretty disturbing actions. Let's substitute "a black person" for "a vampire", shall we? Cat's story would go something like this: my mum told me she has been raped by a black person and she has detested me all my life because I am half black. To avenge her, I go out to bars where I hit on inebriated black men and then, on the pretext that I will have sex with them, we go off and I kill them (whether or not they have tried to force the issue after I eventually reject them). I intend to go out and kill every single black person out there, 'cause they are all the same, obviously. Words really fail me on this one.

- There was very little in terms of character description. What does Cat actually like to do apart from have hot sex with Bones, drink and kill vampires? There was surprisingly little internal monologue, especially considering this is a first person narrative. It was too factual with almost no personal insight. Unbelievably so, for me.

Overall, the book just didn't "grab" me enough. I found the characters actions too morally suspect and the characters themselves too flat to develop any sort of emotional connection with them. There were some bits that were vaguely interesting (the hot sex, mainly) and some good dialogue but not enough to make up for the points mentioned above.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halfway to the Grave.