CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?'s Reviews > Trail of the Spellmans

Trail of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: family, fiction, familyconflict, funny, mystery, san-francisco, women-detectives
Read from March 05 to 07, 2012

I love Lisa Lutz's writing. I love the humor, the self-deprecation of both writer and characters and I love how everything seems chaotic but it all comes together in the end.

Being such a fan (and loving the first four Spellman Documents) I felt this one wasn't as cohesive and exciting as the previous.

There were indeed some funny lines and anything involving Sydney was funny but something about this fell a little flat for me.

Isabel has a knack for taking threads and weaving them into a complete story but it started a bit slow for me (not enough footnotes maybe?) and by the time it picked up it was sort of fun.

Izzy hasn't grown too much since we last saw her. She's still using avoidance and alcohol as a way to protect herself; still the girl you wouldn't call your best friend but you'd hang out with once a week. Rae is still ... Rae and the rest of the Spellman clan just seems a little bored. Not boring but...bored, as if their characters had been muted just a little.

Here's the part where my heart broke (view spoiler).

Demetrius (see document four) is an interesting addition to the family dynamic but I really would've liked to see more Rae antics or Spellman Unit banter.

I don't want to say that this series should've ended at four but if it had I would've been okay with that. As it stands, I will gladly get number six (and there better be one because with all the loose ends and the possible (view spoiler) because now it feels unfinished.

By the way, Izzy as a babysitter is pretty hilarious. Her having a kid would be a very interesting read. hint hint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trail of the Spellmans.

03/06/2012 page 144
38.0% "It's a little slow but I think we're getting somewhere. I need more Izzy humor and maybe something sexy that Henry does. And Rae - she needs to be punished for that brainwashing."
03/06/2012 page 222
58.0% "Izzy, no!!!"
03/06/2012 page 286
74.0% "Oh lutz!!!!!! Noooooooooooo"