Isabel's Reviews > The King's Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy

The King's Speech by Mark Logue

Mar 31, 2011

bookshelves: english, biographies-and-memoirs
Read from March 28 to 29, 2011

That was a lovely quick read. Thoroughly enjoyed it and although it, once more, showed how much films are changed to make things more dramatic, it still made me feel warm and fuzzy about the film.
Oh, and I had to make myself remember over and over that CF was *not* the king but the one whose photos and moments on film I've seen often enough. You see, I was forever picturing CF while reading the book.

Anyway, I highly recommend this book for those who watched the film already and loved it.
Especially as this was not the basis for the film but the film more or less inspiration to finally write this book.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King's Speech.

03/28/2011 page 107
42.0% "Started this morning, was already on page 70 at the end of my commute. Really easy but interesting read. Maybe 'easy' after a book on quantum physics, but I rather enjoy not having to think about almost every paragraph, for a change. ;)"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 It's a book?! How did I not know this?!

Isabel Yes, it is. Apparently edited/written by the grandchild of Lionel Logue. Based on Logue's diaries from the time he and the Duke of York had sessions together.

message 3: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 Whoa. Cool!

Isabel I ordered it back in February but it took until today to be delivered. sigh
I was desperate to read it 3 weeks ago and nearly despaired because it hadn't arrived yet.
But now I 'have' to wait until I read my other 'train' book. ;-) But after that, nothing will keep me from reading it. LOL!

message 5: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 Ha! That is a *terrible* delivery delay!

Isabel Yes!

message 7: by Lize (new)

Lize Thanks! I'll go hunting for this one.

Isabel Do. If you should end up not liking it (what I doubt, to be honest), it's at least not a long read. ;-)

message 9: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 Love that you had to remind yourself Mr. Firth wasn't the king!

Isabel LOL! Yes, but it was so easy to do so. I mean, after watching the film three times, he was more in my mind than the real king. :-D

message 11: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 That's how I am with "About a Boy" - it's Hugh Grant. Period. The end.

Isabel And I have the same with Fever Pitch and, again, CF. Instead of Nick Hornby.

message 13: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 I keep meaning to watch that one - you know they made a version here too (baseball, though) with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore? I keep meaning to watch the original and keep forgetting!

Isabel I saw that one. Maybe it's because I'm not into baseball, I thought it rather lame.

message 15: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 It was just very "lite", I thought. I'm not into baseball at all, but I do like both Jimmy and Drew, so I thought it was cute :)

Isabel Yes, they were cute. But to me it was like a copy, and not a good one either, of a film I adore for three reasons:
CF, football and Arsenal. :-D

message 17: by Antof9 (new)

Antof9 LOL! Makes perfect sense to me.

Isabel See,none of the essential ingredients in the copy.

Colette I also keep picturing Colin Firth and then getting confused when I look at the photos in the book!

Isabel Good to know I'm not the only one! ;)