Veronica's Reviews > Rum Punch

Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard

Mar 22, 11

Read in March, 2011

I read this, mostly because its the novel that inspired one of my favorite movies...1997's "Jackie Brown", so beautifully adapted and directed by Quentin Tarantino. In most cases, the book is superior to the movie. In this case, I'll say the movie outweighs the book...but only a smidgen! Turning the white "Jackie Burke" into the black "Jackie Brown" and casting Pam Grier was genius, as was turning the Ordell Robbie character from lighter skinned to darker skinned so he could be portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson. Otherwise, the book rules. Elmore Leonard's writing style, which leans heavily on the jargon of the characters,takes some getting used to, but is quite effective, and you find yourself eagerly turning the pages to find out what happened (even if you've seen "Jackie Brown" and are already aware of the outcomes). But of course there are other differences between the book and the movie...additional characters, expanded plot, background stories...all of which aided in making this novel an interesting read. And a must read if you enjoy crime fiction, and also if you've seen and are a fan of "Jackie Brown". Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rum Punch.